I realize that most of you already realize this, but PRAYER WORKS!! It never ceases to amaze me, even though I’ve known and trusted in the power of prayer for my entire life, that God continues to act upon the promise of His Word regarding prayer: “The effectual, fervent prayer of righteous men and women avails much!” (My translation of James 5.16)
So, why am I sharing a blog with information that most of us already know? BECAUSE I JUST CAN’T STOP TALKING ABOUT IT! PRAYER WORKS!! Allow me to list a few of the prayers that God has answered in response to the prayers of the Trinity Faith Church Family:
1. Gary Hensley; a little over 8 months ago, Gary was diagnosed with cancer of the liver, and in all honesty, the prognosis was less than encouraging! Our Church Family began to pray in agreement with Gary and Lori for God to heal Gary’s cancerous liver; just a couple of weeks ago, Gary’s doctors in Kansas City informed them that all of the cancerous cells were gone! In addition, Gary had been told that he would need a liver transplant, and that the time required for him to get on the List was crucial to his recovery. So, we began praying for God’s favor in allowing Gary to be added to that List; his doctors also informed him a couple of week’s ago that he is now eligible to go on the List! It is now anticipated that Gary will get a new liver within a matter of a few short months! PRAYER WORKS!!
2. Tina Stuckey; a short while ago, Tina was experiencing excruciating pain in her neck, as the result of a couple of displaced vertebrae in her spine. Surgery was needed to remove the discs, and as we all know, any time that surgery in the spinal region is done, it is a very tedious and dangerous surgery! Tina had the surgery in November, and instantly, the pain was relieved, and her process of recovery from that surgery is now complete! She no longer needs the neck brace; the pain is gone; and she can now resume her duties as Librarian at Liberal High School! I’M TELLING YOU, PRAYER WORKS!!
3. Tera Harvey; our daughter, Tera and her girls moved to Liberal in November, in need of finding a job, and a place to live. Our Church Family began sharing this burden, and the response that God has given in response to our prayers is nothing short of miraculous! Tera now has a great job at LARC, with a great boss, Lori Hensley, and just prior to that, God moved upon Leonard and Belinda McDonald’s heart to rent Belinda’s Mom’s house, which had been vacant since Ellen’s passing a little over a year ago, to Tera and the girls! In the midst of all of that happening, an anonymous donor helped Tera with her car payment, and provided the deposit for her house! COINCIDENCE? NO! GOD, IN HIS DIVINE SOVEREIGNTY, NOT ONLY HEARS AND ANSWERS OUR PRAYERS, BUT DOES SO JUST AT THE RIGHT TIME THAT WE NEED HIM TO ANSWER!
So why am I writing this blog regarding something that most of us have already known about God, and His ability and desire to answer our prayers? BECAUSE IT’S SO EXCITING THAT I JUST CAN’T STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!
Not only does God answer prayers that have been offered up by our Church Family, but God is answering prayers that Brenda and I have been praying for our family in unprecedented fashion! In addition to the ones that we had been praying for Tera and her girls that I previously mentioned, here are just a few more answered prayers that God has provided for our family:
1. Trisha & Justin Nelson; it’s certainly no mystery to anyone, the burden that young families face when raising their kids. Trisha (our daughter) and Justin share that same burden, and so Brenda and I, a couple of years ago, began praying each evening for God’s favor to be upon Trisha and Justin, and their kids. Just this past week, Trisha posted this on Facebook:
”Justin hasn’t even received his 1st paycheck for the month, but I just paid our house payment, car payment, and then splurged on a treat for the family - KU/OSU tickets, all with my Juice Plus check!” 🎉
Hallelujah! God provided Trisha with an incredible opportunity that she originally seized to provide better health for their family; God not only miraculously healed them of continuous respiratory ailments that they were continually dealing with, but added this financial blessing in a way that they could have never imagined! “Our God will supply all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” (My translation of Phil. 4.19). “Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]—To Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever.” (Amplified Version of Ephesians 3.20-21)
2. Tiffany Pridmore, our youngest daughter; as many of you are aware, Tiffany and Lawrence just took a new position at a Church in Evergreen, CO. After getting married, and starting to raise their family in Wichita, this move was one that required faith that God would provide all that they needed to make the move a successful one. Once again, Brenda and I began to pray for God’s favor to be upon every need that they would encounter in making this move. First, they needed to sell their home in Wichita; it sold on the first day of it’s listing!—and the sale of it just closed at the end of January! ANSWERED PRAYER NUMBER 1! Then, of course, they needed to find housing in Evergreen, which was a challenge because of a much higher cost of living than what they had in Wichita. They found a perfect home, in a beautiful area of the mountains, just a few short miles from their new Church! ANSWERED PRAYER NUMBER 2! Because of the higher cost of living, they knew that Tiffany would have to find a job; so Brenda and I continued to pray for God’s favor in finding the perfect job for Tiffany. This proved to be a challenge, because the Master’s Degree in Sociology that she utilized in Wichita, did not meet the State requirements in Colorado, so she either would have to go back to school, or find a new area of employment! We kept praying for God’s favor; earlier today, Tiffany texted us to tell us that she got a job!—and not just any old job, but one with higher pay than the one she had in Wichita; one that utilizes her current Degree in Sociology; one that allows her to work from home two days per week, and three days in the Office; and one that she is very excited and thankful to have gotten! ANSWERED PRAYER #3!
Friends, I could go on and on, telling you how God was with our Grandson, who had a torn ACL successfully repaired yesterday, or the unexpected financial blessing that Brenda and I received this past week, but I’m guessing that you get the idea! PRAYER WORKS!!—and I am sharing this in this blog, because I want prayer to work for each and every one of you! The key? You have to pray! “You do not have because you do not ask.”—James 4.2
Now, I’m not telling you that God will answer every prayer in the way that you want it answered! I am telling you, that God will answer your prayers, every one of them, in a way that is in your best interests! So, whatever you have need of, take it to God in prayer! He can be trusted to answer! Don't make the mistake of thinking that our prayers as a Church Family, or the prayers that Brenda and I prayed, were answered because of "great faith!" Not at all! Jesus said, in Luke 17.6--"If you had faith (trust and confidence in God) even [so small] like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, Be pulled up by the roots, and be planted in the sea, and it would obey you."
Do you believe that? Test God and see if He is faithful to answer the prayers of His people!